Thursday, April 16, 2009

Easter, My Favorite Time of the Year

As Christians, we feel that Easter is an important time of the year. It's the time we remember that Jesus died on the cross, was buried and rose up from the grave so we could be saved.

On Good Friday, Rick decided to have communion, with the kids, around our coffee table. We set up candles, a large roll, and a glass of grape juice. Rick also had fold-out cubes that told the story of Easter and bookmarks for the kids. We all knelt around the table, and while Rick read the Last Supper, we ate the bread and drank of the grape juice. Then we prayed and thanked Jesus for dying for us. It was a very special time. I couldn't stop the tears from flowing. Just to think that Jesus cared enough about me...the whole world...to give His life so we could have eternal life.

Julia seemed to understand most of what we said. Rick says this will be a yearly tradition. Each year, the kids will comprehend a little more. Chris only understands that "Jesus die on the cwoss," but that's pretty good for someone his age. That much has stuck with him since he saw a picture of Jesus on the cross. I don't think He will ever forget that.

Rick sent me shopping on Saturday. Some people grow out of getting a new dress for Easter. I still like to do it. I went to Christopher and Banks, at the mall. They had some good sales that day. I got 30% off on my outfit. I was glad I shopped there! I had such a great time just getting out of the house. I can't do that too much right now. Rick is in school, and works two jobs. So, it's a real treat to leave the kids with him and just get out.

Easter Sunday was a great day. We went to church and heard some lovely singing by Pastor Melvin and his wife, and Bro. Hinton. Then we heard a sermon, by Rev. James Keaton, about why we believe that Jesus rose from the grave.

After church, we were all invited out to Ronny and Sharon Gathercole's house. They live out in the country. Reminds me of home! We had our Easter dinner in their garage. It was a delicious meal. So much food you could hardly decide what to eat! After dinner, the men went outside to hide Easter eggs. There were so many eggs that it took the guys about 15 minutes to hide them all. They let the kids out in age groups: 0-4, 5-8, 9-12 and up. It was great to see the excitement on the kids faces. There were eggs everywhere! Some of the grownups went too(I won't say their names)! It was so much fun for everyone. Julia came in second for her age group. She got 58. Rick and I don't believe in the Easter bunny, but we do believe in celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I'm going to try to put our Easter family picture at the bottom of my blog. If I can't do it myself, I'll have Rick help me. He's so much better that me at computer stuff. At any rate, it will get there.




2 comments:

Lisa said...

Adorable pics Jennifer! Liked the below pics too of your outing at the park! See ya soon...
Love ya,
Lisa

Unknown said...

such a great idea, especially when Easter gets lost compared to Christmas. Love your blog Jenn! Mom A.